South West Athletics Academy Sprints Programme
We can develop sprint programmes specific to your sport. Speed and core strength is a vital part of many sports. For example we currently provide specific sprint coaching for rugby and football players. We also use speed gates and benchmarking to assess your progress. Please contact us so we can discuss with you how we can develop a sprint programme for your sport.
Other sports currently benefiting from our sprints programme include:
- Rugby (see the specific sprints programme we have developed below)
- Ice hockey
- Ultimate Frisbee
Rugby Sprint Programme
South West Athletics Academy is pleased to announce the development of a sprint programme specific to rugby players. This Academy sprint programme is being taken on at the request of Tony Walker of the Cheetars sprint programme which is now being discontinued due to the departure of the main coaches to other commitments. This programme is led by award winning Head Coach Sonya Ellis.
South West Athletics Academy is well placed to offer sprint coaching having developed specific conditioning programmes and technical workshops for south west sprinters who have been very successful in the School Games 2012 and the British Universities & Colleges Sport Championships 2012.
Core fundamentals of the training programme include:
- Technical development of speed and power for sprints
- Various methods of training to improve sprint performance
- Develop conditioning and coordination through activities such as plyometrics and resistance work
- Fitness testing and benchmarking
- Sport psychology, lifestyle, LTAD and planning
- Use of video analysis, and other technology such as iPads to get feedback trackside
- Stepped progression from the Main Group to the Advanced training groups.
We are currently developing a partnership with another company for the strength programme linked to our conditioning element for partcipants of the Academy Sprints Programme.
When and Where
Sprint Coaching Sessions will be held at Exeter Arena, Summer Lane, Whipton Exeter Devon EX4 8NN on Monday evenings in the Summer and move to St Peters High School, Quarry Lane Exeter from the start of October 2012 onwards until the end of March 2013 starting at 7.30pm.
Cost is £7.00 per session or £28 for a 4 week block or £42 for a 6 week block. Reduced prices if you are a member of an athletics club with an England Athletics affiliation number.
Please see the booking forms for booking onto the programme.
Contact for Queries
Sonya Ellis – Head Coach – 07745 616852 or email@example.com